4.15.2011

Just keep showing up



That is always the hardest part, right? To keep showing up. To sit down and write something when all you would rather just do is take a nap.

Whenever I mention to other moms that I write a blog, they often respond with, "How on earth do you find the time to do that?" And sometimes, I have no idea how I find the time. And mostly, I often don't because it means that there is something else that I am choosing not to do instead. But I keep showing up, as best I can.

I have mentioned before that Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love had a transformation affect on my life, so you can imagine my excitement when I found her speech on TED. {If it makes you feel any better about how I find the time to write, this post has been sitting in my drafts folder since September, just waiting for me.} Regardless, her speech is inspiring and smart. She makes a distinction between being a genius and having a genius that I found extremely helpful in deciphering what it means to have a gift for something, what that gift is and how to be the conduit for sharing it with others.

Whether you like her as a writer or not, listen to what she has to say. She may just inspire you to show up for whatever you are waiting to show up for.

2 comments:

wakako said...

I LOVED her TED speech!! I saw her in person giving a lecture right after she did this TED talk and she was genius. "follow your curiosity" is what I came home from the lecture and I still hold on to the quote very closely...

I hope you and your family will have a lovely weekend:)

xo
-wakako

alex t said...

I would love to see her in person! I love the notion of following one's curiosity. I think I want to listen to her speech again!