11.22.2010

Morning ritual


"Are you ready to meditate?" he asks.

Still half asleep I know that its sometime around 6am. He's been awake long enough to be mostly awake, dressed, teeth brushed and alert. I haven't even gotten out of bed.

I want to scream no. I want to roll my eyes. I want to say "Do I look ready to meditate?"

That's the ritual on weekday mornings. Doesn't really feel so great.

And today was no different, but instead of loathing the set up, I just got up and found my spot, no eye rolling in sight.

And then I just started to breathe.

And then I let my spaghetti brain of a to do list jump around in my head like children in a bouncy house. And I smiled.

And then I just started to breathe.

And then I just started to breathe again.

And again.

And again.

Until at one point the bell chimed, letting my boycotting brain know that 30 minutes had passed.

I'll try it again tomorrow.

No comments: